Monday, April 27, 2009

What the hell am I gonna do?

I just had a conference with a student and it wasn't a happy one. He's an okay student, but he's gotten this attitude that he doesn't need to do his work. He's in school soley to socialize and have fun, and as a result his grades are in the toilet. His parent/teacher conference wasn't a positive one: it was basically laid out for him that he's most likely repeating this year, and that STILL hasn't changed his behavior. He's still not participating and not turning in work. I wish I could physically slap him across the face and hope that the reality of the situation sticks that way, because giving him his grades and telling him that he's going to repeat clearly hasn't worked.

Here's the thing...he's not one of those kids that "just doesn't get it" because he's LD. He seems to think that he can float by on his good looks and charm. He's always gotten out of trouble before, so clearly it's got to happen one last time. It's so frustrating to see someone who could be an A or B student care so little while the kids with real problems struggle so much and would kill to get a B on a test.

I'm sending a note home today or tomorrow, whenever I can get it translated. It's just such a pain, and I'm very annoyed that this kid hasn't turned it around at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment