Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I took the job.

......

I gave it a lot of thought, and I decided to take the position after speaking with the woman who's vacating the position later this month. I'm a bit nervous, a bit excited, and really glad the decision has been made.

I decided to give it a year and then decide. I figured that I can do just about anything for a year (Thanks to Ali for reminding me and telling me that I really have until April/May, so it's not even a year).

I've been craving the chance to write again, so being able to create brochures and write press releases again was a huge selling point. I've also got the added benefit of knowing how to create and design a website--our school website is a huge marketing tool and having access to all the Development literature can only help. Also, knowing web design like I do I can maintain 3 websites. It will be a challenge and some days it will be really busy, but I'm looking forward to being able to increase my strengths and learn some new skills.

Having a classroom AND an office is a lot of space to maintain, but the separate spaces will be good for my sanity. I'll have one place to teach and one place to be in a marketing frame of mind. Being in my classroom all the time would frazzle me too much--I don't know that I'd ever be able to focus on doing one thing and one thing only. I'd be writing a press release and worrying about how I was going to get all my grading done at the same time. Having 2 spaces will help separate my mind, if that makes sense.

This is also really good for my resume. Even if I do this for just a year having the marketing experience will look good and can help me find another job if I ever want to transition out of teaching.

Now........I'm still nervous.

The woman in the position is GOOD at her job. I won't be as good as she is. Maybe eventually, but I know that just starting off it's going to be rough. Hopefully my boss and colleagues remember that I'm a bit of a "n00b" and they'll be patient with me.

The summer hours thing kind of sucks. My almost-former-colleague told me it was nothing to worry about, but still....it leaves less time for camp. I know I'll have some flexibility in terms of my hours--I won't have to take days off, I'll just have to let my boss know when I'll be in and when I won't--but I'll have to structure my days or my summers won't be productive at all.

The extra responsibility makes me a little stressed, even just thinking about it. But really, I'm doing this for the extra experience and the extra money, sad as it is to say. I NEED the experience, and it's a lie to say the extra money wouldn't help. I *hope* the money and experience will be worth the added stress.

I'm looking forward to August when I officially start, but I'll be in and out the rest of the summer getting acquainted with the system set up by our PR director. It will be a large undertaking, but it will still be worth it (I hope).

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to come to a decision! Just be patient with yourself as you're learning. I know you'll be great at it! Just remember all those late nights in Rutledge basement, and your writing experience will come back to you!

    Good luck! I'll be praying that your summer goes well, and that your first weeks and months at the job will go even better!

    ReplyDelete