Monday, June 1, 2009

::bangs head repeatedly against wall::

OY. VEY.

Remember the "What the hell I am gonna do?" post? Ugh. I just found out that not only will the student be returning next year, but he's being promoted to the next grade. He wasn't supposed to be, but the principal decided that with summer school he could be promoted. I'm pissed about it for a few reasons. 1. He MIGHT have been better behaved with the incoming 7th grade. He wouldn't have had anyone to act out with, at least. 2. He SHOULD have repeated 6th grade this year, but they decided that he fit in better physically with the 7th grade. He towers over the 6th graders. 3. I don't think he's learned anything from the constant promotion. He's learned that even if he fails and just attends summer school he'll get passed on to the next grade. That means his behavior in August will be MUCH worse than it is now.

The principal promised me and the other teachers that he's being put on a plan for behavior and academics, and that with the plan comes the stipulation that if he's out of line he'll be kicked out in the first quarter of school. I'm....doubtful.

I HATE to say that about a child. I really do. But here's the thing...this kid hasn't made any progress since the start of the school year. He hasn't shown any signs of grown. In fact, I've seen regression in him. In the first weeks he was doing great. His work was coming in and it was generally pretty good. After he got comfortable he decided that he didn't have to work anymore and he hasn't worked since. He's failed all but one assignment he did this quarter...for me, that is. I can't speak for his other teachers. And that assignment was only after I wrote a note home (couldn't call because my Spanish is lacking) and explained that he had one chance to fix his assignment before I failed him.

He's failing my class. I'm a tough grader, and I never curve grades. I curved this quarter, and he's still failing. I might be willing to up his grade to a D if we were talking a point or two difference, but I'm talking a 15 point difference even with the curve. If I raised his grade, nearly everyone in the class would be getting straight As from me.

I'm so disgusted with this kid and his behavior. I know parents are pissed off as well. The class he's in has problems on its own, and I can't even tackle some of the problems in that class because I feel like I'm constantly saying, "Sit down," and "Get your work done" and "One more time and you'll be repeating my class at your recess." But NOTHING gets through. Absolutely nothing.

It's so disheartening. I feel like this kid overshadows all the good things that are happening in that class.

No comments:

Post a Comment