Monday, May 11, 2009

It's the final countdown!

Officially less than 4 weeks to go! Hurrah!

This week I'm only teaching Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is our annual Walk-A-Thon, and Thursdays I don't teach, so it's a brief week that's jammed full for me.

I've only got a few classes left with the 8th grade. I only see them 2 days a week as it is, and this Wednesday's out, next Wednesday is their Ribbon Day so they'll be celebrating all week, and the next Monday is Memorial Day so classes aren't in session. Isn't that nuts? Three classes left.

I passed out their progress reports today and a number of them have Cs and Ds. They've been lazy this quarter and there's enough missing work to make sure I don't have a free weekend between now and graduation. Isn't that nice of them? Oh well. I warned them and now they have 3 classes to turn in what they're missing. It sucks but in their minds they've been on summer vacation since....January? They've got it bad, and that ain't good!

On one hand, I'm looking forward to an extra 45 minutes in my day (for 3 days). On the other hand, it'll be sad to see another class leave and move on. Each class thinks they're special, and they are in some way, but they're also very much like other 8th grades that came before them. They've got so many more opportunities available to them and they won't have to start working right after receiving their diploma as so many of their predecessors did. They have the chance to attend some of the best high schools in the city and graduate and become something. Isn't that crazy? Think about all the possibility that laid before you at 14. Are you were you wanted to be when you were 14?

There's not much time left to plan the rest of the year and get ready for summer camp. I can't believe how quickly this year went by. I'm thankful for it, but I'm a little annoyed that I didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted to. Oh well. Hopefully I'll be brought back for a third year and I can finish some of what I wanted to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment